Re: [css3-fonts] font shorthand and font-synthesis, font-size-adjust

On 05/17/2013 12:20 AM, John Daggett wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>
>> I don't think font-synthesis should be reset by the font shorthand.
>> It's typically something you want to set once at the top of the
>> document, and allow to inherit through the whole thing.
>
> Um, it's not reset by the font shorthand...  Maybe you're not parsing
> "font feature properties" correctly?  I guess it would make sense to
> give a more specific list to reduce the chance for confusion like this.

I was parsing "All font-related properties" from
   # All font-related properties are first reset to their initial values

But yeah, specific list of properties would be great. :)

>> The 'font-size-adjust' property has a similar usage pattern,
>> especially wrt the 'auto' value. Since other values might be less
>> like that, I can see an argument for resetting it in the shorthand.
>> However, if we think it should be reset nonetheless, that fact
>> should be pointed out in a note in the 'font-size-adjust' property,
>> and a good practice example for using 'auto' included.
>
> I don't think this is quite right, 'font-size-adjust' usage makes
> sense for small body text but less so for display text or body text
> that of a "large enough" size.  So I don't think it's blanket use for
> all elements on a page is something to be recommended.

So what would be an example of "best practice" for using this property,
that would work on a real web page? I think that's something important
to show, especially since this property is somewhat tricky to understand.

~fantasai