Re: [css3-box] area property for replaced elements with an intrinsic aspect ratio

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org> wrote:
> I, and I presume other authors as well, have frequently run into this issue:
>
> There is a list of images with varying dimensions and aspect ratios (e.g.
> logos) and we want all of them to have the same visual impact. We can set
> max-width or max-height, but in that case, square logos will still have a
> higher visual impact than long or tall ones. What we basically want is the
> ability to set the area of the element, and have the dimensions
> automatically adjust. I guess this could be useful in other cases of
> replaced elements with intrinsic dimensions or aspect ratios as well. What
> do you think?

Interesting.  Are you sure that 'area' is the right metric for 'visual
impact' here?  It would be nice to see this in action on a page with
several images of varying aspect-ratios, as this should be easy to do
in JS (with some visual jumpiness initially).

The implementation seems reasonable - if you have an element with an
intrinsic aspect ratio and both width and height are auto, compute
them to satisfy the area; if if doesn't have an intrinsic aspect
ratio, but either width or height (but not both) are auto, compute the
other to satisfy the area.

~TJ