Re: [css-regions] Changed @region rule to ::region() pseudo-element

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 20:29:20 -0700
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>

Ah, well no wonder you didn't think it was hugely more readable. I was thinking it was '@flow' followed by the name of the flow, similar to @page and named pages. But I guess that wouldn't work, since more than one element can receive the same named flow. Hmm. I guess regions doesn't have the equivalent of css3 page's named pages, or a 'region' property to jump flow content to a particular named region, but maybe it should.

Anyway, the rest of my argument stands. I still think @region is more elegant and readable and writable, without resorting to workarounds for the inherent problems of the pseudo-element approach, workarounds which can't really give it enough help to restore the original simplicity and elegance of the @rule approach.