Re: [css-fonts] proposal needed for synthesizing oblique fonts in vertical text

Koji Ishii wrote:

> > But as everyone is saying, there really isn't a use case for
> > vertical italic Japanese text runs
>
> The use is less common, but use case does exist. "Less common" is
> not equal to "there really isn't a use case." It's used in Harry
> Potter. It's used in several books in light-novel style[2].

Just to follow up on this point, I went to the bookstore to try and
come up with the examples you're referring to.  I leafed through
several editions of various Harry Potter books without really finding
much of any usage of italics and/or obliqued text.  The nearest thing
I could find was the use of emoji-style exclamation points:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2013May/att-0031/harry-potter-exclamation.jpg

Is this what you were thinking of?

Anyways, it would be helpful to have copies of the examples you're
talking about.

Cheers,

John Daggett