Re: [css3-fonts] Arabic and generic families

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:09:06 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 14/05/13 6:07 AM, fantasai wrote:

> Though I'm not sure I agree that DecoType Naskh would be 'serif'
> rather than 'cursive'--it is very calligraphic, more like Zapfino
> than Times Roman.

DecoType's Naskh is an implementation of the standard Arabic formal book
hand, so it is by far the most obvious example of something that
corresponds to 'serif' in Latin type categorisation and conventional
usage. It is important to consider the rôles of different script styles
within text cultures, rather than extrapolating from an outsider
perception of the visual characteristics of a style. While the naskh
style might look to us more like Zapfino than it does like Times Roman,
for hundreds of years it performed the same rôle in Arabic text culture
as formal roman styles in European text culture.

JH