Re: [css-writing-modes][naming] Logical caption-side

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:15:11 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On May 13, 2013, at 3:10 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> Proposed logicalization per WG resolution on [1]:
>
>  caption-side: start | end | start-outside | end-outside | inline-start | inline-end
>
> Alternative proposals welcome.

I had assumed that if disambiguation was needed, it would be applied evenly. Such as thusly:

caption-side: block-start | block-end | block-start-outside | block-end-outside | inline-start | inline-end

I suppose it could be argued that since inline-side captions are more unusual, that only they should use the additional disambiguation words. But I think that would be confusing as we add to these keywords to more and more properties & values, trying to remember which have 'inline-' added to them and which have 'block-' added to them, if it is not done consistently.

I thought we would only leave off the 'block-' part if there was no 'inline-' version, and vice versa.