Re: [css3-regions] flow-into: <ident> content-only

On 5/8/13 6:18 PM, "Rossen Atanassov" <Rossen.Atanassov@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>According to the minutes [1] from 4/24/13 there was a request to me to
>provide a use case for the flow-into: <indet> content-only; proposal.
>Here it is.
>
>The ability for authors to separate content from views when populating
>templates.  For example, a news aggregator has a set of predefined views
>she uses to display content that is coming from an external source.
>These views are defined
> by one author and the content is defined by another author. The views
>can be composed from various fragment containers.  The containers can be
>predefined or dynamically created (programmatically or declaratively)
>based on the content overflow.  The ability
> to flow the content of a container, removes the requirement of having to
>make all of its individual content pieces to become part of a flow chain.
> For example, an article with the header, sub-headers, and paragraphs
>doesnąt have to carry the container with
> it when it is placed into the view.  The advantage of this model is that
>news aggregators can define name flows to flow content from an external
>source to view on their site. This is more manageable than forcing
>developers to directly insert those elements
> into the view or directly use iframes to display all content on one view.
>
>Requirements:
>* The views represent templates that are created from fragment containers.
>* Authors can define the flow-into and flow-from.  This will allow them
>to associate content to different views.
>* The ability to dynamically create templates based on a
>author-predefined criteria when content overflows (programmatically or
>declaratively).
>* The ability to specify that the content-only of an element (and not the
>element itself) can be used to define named flows.
>* The ability to include content from external documents is similar to
>what we do with iframes today.
>
>Let me know if you have any additional questions.
>
>Thanks,
>Rossen
>
>[1]
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Apr/0576.html
><http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Apr/0576.html>

I think the idea of populating a layout with content from an external
source is quite useful. I also think the content keyword allows for two
additional use cases. The original content container(s) can be used for
fallback scenarios if CSS Regions is not supported, and placing just the
contents of an element into a named flow leaves the box(es) available to
be used as CSS Regions in the named flow's region chain.

Thanks,

Alan