Re: [css-fonts] proposal needed for synthesizing oblique fonts in vertical text

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 01:47:33 -0700 (PDT)
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Koji Ishii wrote:

> Regarding the use cases, as written in the post above, there are a
> good number of real use of Italic Latin text to appear in vertical
> flow in Japanese publications, and making them UA dependent is very
> likely to break them.

Koji, the default display of italic Latin text in vertical text runs
is identical in both proposals (or at least what I *think* you're
proposing).  It's the *upright* display of Latin italics that will
differ.  This is why I said you need to clearly identify the behavior
when 'text-orientation: upright' is specified.  I think this is the
case your referring to above, no?

Does what you're proposing differ from Microsoft Word or Internet
Explorer behavior?

Cheers,

John