Re: [css3-text] hanging-punctuation and hyphens

On 03/07/2013 11:05 PM, Lea Verou wrote:
> Somebody suggested on twitter [1] that it might be useful for
> hyphens (added by hyphenation) to hang as well, perhaps through
> hanging-punctuation [2]. Thoughts?
>
> [1]: https://twitter.com/kevinmarks/status/309851430934675457
> [2]: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#hanging-punctuation0

This was considered earlier, actually, but I think we decided to
scope the 'end' values to just dealing with CJK cases because
comments on Western requirements seemed to indicate that optical
alignment was preferable to explicit hanging. Also, as Liam
mentions, some people want the whole hyphen to hang, others only
part of it... it gets complicated with Western hanging. ^_^

If there are clearer use cases and requirements, we might consider
this for Level 4, however.

The 'first' and 'last' values are still useful for hanging
quotes, though!

~fantasai