Re: [css-exclusions] Splitting exclusions from shapes

On 5/1/13 11:17 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>> I would like to split the current contents of CSS Exclusions and Shapes
>> into at least two documents:
>>
>> CSS Exclusions
>> (wrap-flow and wrap-through)
>> This would contain only the current section 3, and define how exclusions
>> work without reference to shapes.
>>
>> CSS Shapes
>> (shape values and shape-outside on floats)
>> This would contain most of section 4, include all the methods for
>> specifying shapes, and define shape-outside on floats.
>>
>> Extra bits
>> (shape-inside, shape-outside on exclusions)
>> Since shape-inside depends on the exclusions processing model, this and
>> using shape-outside on exclusions would be deferred to some later
>>document
>> that could depend on both of the above. It would probably turn into the
>> next level of CSS Shapes, but might just live on a wiki page until we're
>> ready for that.
>>
>> Exclusions and Shapes are both useful on their own, and hopefully
>>breaking
>> these two apart will make both smaller pieces more feasible to consider
>> implementing.
>

>I think this is a good idea in general.
>
>Why do you say that shape-inside depends on the exclusion processing
>model?  It's described in those terms right now, but I don't see why
>it requires such, any more than shape-outside does.

I'm mainly considering future integration issues. If we define
shape-inside independent of exclusions, then we add in exclusions, we will
have to define the interaction between an element's shape-inside behavior
and its wrapping context. I'd rather hold off on shape-inside until we can
have a single description of how these two contributions to an element's
"content doesn't flow here" behave.

Thanks,

Alan