Re: [css21] What's the used value of left/right when overconstrained in relpos?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>> > My general position is that no style value returned via
>> > getComputedStyle()
>> > should be 'auto' if there is a legal return value that denotes the
>> > "resolved" or "as used" interpretation of 'auto'.
>>
>> I believe the current common position among spec is that "auto"
>> resolves at the earliest common moment it can resolve, across all
>> possibiliites.  That is, if it can resolve at computed-value time in
>> some cases, but used-value time in others, it should just resolve at
>> computed-value time.
>
> sounds reasonable

Unfortunately, it looks like I said the exact opposite of what I meant
to say.  My actual words are nonsensical, because they imply that we
should resolve "auto" away at computed-value time even when it can't
be done until used-value time.

What I *meant* to say is "It should just resolve at used-value time".
That is, a given keyword should always resolve at a single time; if
it's possible to resolve it at several different times, resolve it at
the earliest time that satisfies all cases.