Re: [css4-pseudo] The need for more powerful pseudo elements

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 21:39:46 +1000
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
CC: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Tom Wardrop <tom@tomwardrop.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 30/04/2013 1:52 AM, François REMY wrote:
>> From brad.kemper@gmail.com: Styling is exactly what generated
>> content is for.
>
> Please don't make such bold statements without making sure you're
> right on them. I would invite you to read the CSS Generated Content
> [1]'s abstract, introduction and table of contents: the spec covers
> absolutely nothing outside what is some real generated content like
> quotes, li markers, chapter & section header and in-document
> references.

I'm not sure if generated content is the best approach. I would much
like to see this as a decoration like background or better still,
border-image.

Having created a speech bubble after about 2 hours work has made me
think that this could be simpler.

It would have been easier if border-image allows gradients since
attempting to use the background painting area results in a rectangle
(have to create special gradients for each corner). Also, I do see 6.4
'border-image-outset' as a property in background and border [1]. This
spec says it extends beyond the border box.

Also if there was other ways to create gradients shapes, then one does
not have to use two gradients to create a triangle with it's point going
outwards.

Anyway, please find a test case attached showing the possibilities.

Alan

1. http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#the-border-image-outset

--
Alan Gresley