Re: [mediaqueries4][css-speech] Media queries for multichannel audio ?

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Your request has not fallen off the radar, don't worry. We just have a
> very full plate, and it sometimes takes time before things get on the top
> of the agenda.
>
> I think at this point, the most useful thing to do would be to collect
> uses cases, so that we can best judge if the solution proposed would be
> effective at solving them. The examples you gave in your previous mail are
> useful, but not really what I would call use cases though.
>
> "Providing the right number of audio channels in a video streamed using
> the media attribute of the <source>  element or in the Media Source case by
> JavaScript using mediaMatch()" is a use case (maybe two).

Ok, that may be sufficient for our purposes. I will think whether we have
any other use-cases. I guess the examples I gave explain what is meant by
the "right number of audio channels".

> I would be interested in knowing whether people want to use it for
> something else. Does it have applications in the context of css-speech, for
> instance? If yes, what are their expectations? This is the kind of thing
> I'd like to hear about before taking any decision.
>
> Also, just to clarify, for your use case, assuming a 5.1 capable
> environment, do you want the number of channels detected to be 5 or 6?

6. And for 7.2 it is 9. I think the multichannel specifications go up to
something like 21.3 (!), but the number of channels is sufficient to make
the decision as to which media source to use.

...Mark