Re: [cssom] Interaction of getComputedStyle.width/height and box-sizing

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:20:01 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> Because then you can't round-trip 'width', which is *weird*.
>
> Round-trip in the sense of assigning a used value to a specified value?
> Apart from getComputedStyle consumers (assuming that keeps using "used
> width"), where would this ever happen.

I can't recall details now, but when writing Flexbox, there were some
serious concerns when writing the layout algorithm with how
'box-sizing' interacted with various things.  We ended up ignoring the
properties altogether when possible, and just referring to the
appropriate box directly.

>>> Well, do we have a spec that actually defines block layout anymore?  ;)
>>
>> Nope!
>
> People do realize that there are projects that are trying to actually
> implement CSS layout based on the output of this working group (as opposed
> to insider knowledge, personal communication with working group memebers,
> and reverse-engineering of existing UAs, which is how it seems to work for
> most of us so far), right?  :(

Yup, it definitely sucks.

~TJ