Re: The :min-width/:max-width pseudo-classes

On 3/29/13 12:56 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Unless I'm thinking incorrectly, it doesn't preclude parallel layout,
> as long as the two viewport elements are at the same level of
> "nesting".  Any selectors relying on viewport sizes can only rely on
> already-resolved ones, which is a set shared between the two, so they
> don't need to interact directly.

So a min-width selector for one of the viewports can't affect the size
of an element in the other one?  If so, that's non-obvious from your
description....

>> (It's also not entirely clear to me how well it plays with interruptible
>> layout that does not always run to completion and various other things,
>> honestly.)
>
> Right, I'm less and less sure that this works, unfortunately.  :/
> Viewport elements themselves can give nice benefits, but this seems
> like it might erase a lot of other speed benefits we'd like to have.

That's the problem I'm having, yes.  I'm all in favor of something like
viewports, I think (as long as they're declared in markup, not CSS); I'm
a little more cautious about selecting on the size of the viewports if
it can do anything more than what viewport-size media queries for
subframes can do right now.

-Boris