Inheritance overrides (was Re: [css3-text] Feature request: "white-space: ignore")

From: Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:38:05 -0400
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:

> Perhaps we ought to think about a mechanism whereby authors could
> override normal inheritance rules.  That seems to me like it would fit
> best as a !annotation:
>
> dl { white-space: ignore !noinherit; }

Of course, the minute I hit send, it occurs to me that (at least in
Gecko) this would require a gigantic overhaul of the internal data
structure for style properties; "inherited" and "reset" properties
(internal terms) are currently stored in separate "style structs" and
looked up differently, for speed's sake (you don't have to look at an
element's ancestors for non-inherited properties).

zw