Re: [css3][background] background-size as the background shorthand

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Masataka Yakura <myakura.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like WebKit has added "a settings" to allow clients not to reset
> bg-size by the shorthand.
>
> Changeset 147034 – Add a settings to disallow initializing background-size
> if background shorthand doesn't include it.
> <http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/147034>

This patch doesn't make any sense, and should never have been given r+.

Either the web in general expects the correct behavior, and there is a
small compat problem with sites that do the opposite, or the web in
general expects the wrong behavior, and there's a small compat problem
with sites that do it correctly.

Whichever one it is, that should be the only way our code recognizes.
It's simply nonsensical to allow ports to switch from one to the other
arbitrarily.  (Unless it's done with a site blacklist?  I see no
evidence of this in the patch, though.)

Finally, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, all the other
browsers did this correctly (as the spec mandated) from the beginning.
 Thus it would only be a problem on sites that never tested in any
non-WebKit browser (since it would completely screw up the background
on other browsers).

At *most*, we could key this behavior to whether it was specified
prefixed or not, so the shorthand resets 'background-size' but not
'-webkit-background-size'.  But the patch does nothing like this.

I, like others in this thread, strongly reject any attempt to change
the current spec to match WebKit's older, broken behavior.