Re: [cssom-view] Add a "smooth" parameter to scrollTo and scrollBy functions

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM,  <alice.lieutier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We believe that the time to scroll should be based on the distance,
>> which means you can't put it in the author's hands at all.
> This choice seems very strange to me:
>
> - first because it's not what most js libraries do.
> - secondly because on a very long document (say a w3c spec page) scrolling up and down at constant speed means instant scroll for nearby sections and still very long scroll time for far apart sections.

I said "based on", not "linear to".  Long scrolls should take longer
than short scrolls, but *very long* scrolls should take only slightly
longer than long scrolls, if at all.  The construction of a
good-looking timing function for a given scroll length is definitely
non-trivial.