Re: Holy grail layout using Flexbox

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
>> @Tab atkins
>> Your solution works. However, the <nav> element (which should show
>> before the <div id="content"> element is completely gone in your
>> solution. Is there a way to get that one showing again? If that would
>> be possible then your solution is perfect i guess.
>
> Sorry, I was giving example code, not copying your precise markup.
> Obviously, you'd put the <nav> in your current page structure in place
> of the <aside> in my example code.
>
>> @fantasai
>> I haven't tried your solution because it involves making a wrapper
>> div. I think wrapper divs should not be needed anymore in todays
>> bleeding edge CSS3. I know that doing something like:
>> <header></header>
>> <footer></footer>
>> would probably work just fine because <div id="wrapper"> would in fact
>> only contain singleline stuff as far as flexbox is concerned. But that
>> is - in my opinion - not a neat solution.
>
> You need wrapper <div>s when creating two-dimensional layouts with
> Flexbox.  Don't fight it, it's okay.  Grid will solve your problem
> better when it's ready (soon).

Hi Tab,

So flexbox is only usable to make stretchable structures then (like
tables)? If that's the case, then what's the added benefit of having
flexbox in the first place?
As for grid, i know :) I already have the holy grail layout working in
grid. Sadly only for IE10 and the current grid layout spec changed
quite a bit.

I actually can't wait till the grid spec is finalized and implemented
by all major rendering engines. It seems very promising and really
makes it a lot easier to make quite complicated layouts. Do you know
of any rendering engine with an up to date implementation of the
current spec? I guess it doesn't exist.

Regards,
Mark