Re: [css4-background] use cases for 'border-corner-shape'?

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:12:30 -0700
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>
On Mar 26, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org> wrote:

> Using border-images for these is a pain, because:
> a) The hit-testing area doesnĄ¯t change, as fantasai pointed out

It is a good point. Ideally, there should be a way to be able to set an alpha threshold for hit-testing a border image. I think the idea of using a 50% threshold was considered at one point and rejected, and the general idea of controlling via a property was punted to level four. It could be something like 'border-image-threshold:0.5'. I think we should have that anyway for CSS4 border-image, regardless of the outcome of 'border-corner-shape'.

> b) box-shadow doesnĄ¯t follow them

No, but I think the drop-shadow filter effect would.

> c) You need to hardcode borders in the image, as you canĄ¯t have additional borders

You could use the the drop-shadow filter effect to get a pretty passable fake border, especially if you could do inner shadows with that or something like it (positive spread, no blur).