Re: [css-counter-styles-3] Font for symbolic counter style

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> Le 26/03/2013 18:30, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
>> wrote:
>>> In WeasyPrint and PrinceXML, the disc is rendered as a U+2022 BULLET
>>> character, which in Ahem is also a big square. This is what should happen
>>> in
>>> my understanding of the Lists 3 and Counter Style drafts. Browsers,
>>> however,
>>> still show a disc.
>>>
>>> So, should css-counter-styles-3 say something about the font used to
>>> render
>>> symbolic counter styles such as 'disc'?
>>

>> No, the exact rendering of the predefined symbolic styles is
>> explicitly left undefined, with browsers being given a choice of using
>> a particular character (with several suggestions given, but nothing
>> required), or a browser-generated image that looks similar to the
>> intended rendering. Note the paragraph immediately following the
>> stylesheet in the predefined symbolic section.
>>
>> So, everyone's perfectly compliant so far.
>

> We found out about this through some CSS 2.1 tests such as this one:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/list-style-position-019.htm
>
> which says "There must be 3 thick horizontal black bars below, each preceded
> by a bright green bullet (filled-in circle)." WeasyPrint renders squares
> (Ahem glyphs) instead of bullets, and so technically fails the test.
>
> Is this an issue with the test?

Yes, since 2.1 didn't define the appearance of the symbolic types *at
all*.  Seriously, here's the text defining those keywords: "Glyphs are
specified with disc, circle, and square. Their exact rendering depends
on the user agent.".

Counter Styles tightens that up a bit, but probably due to the
historical undefinedness, couldn't do much more without making most of
the current browsers non-compliant.  That didn't seem particularly
useful, since they're all doing reasonable things today.