Re: [css-positioning]? Handling <dialog> positioning - an update

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 3/25/13 8:15 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
>>wrote:
>>>
>>> Can a <dialog> spawn another <dialog>?
>>
>>Yes, definitely.
>
> Which implies some hierarchy of top layers? In particular, with z-index
> relative
> to whatever top-layer is currently topmost?

No, why would it?  You can just use normal ordering to resolve this
sufficiently.

I believe the <dialog> spec only allows multiple dialogs to exist at
once if the sub-dialog is a descendant.  Otherwise, the second dialog
waits for the first to be closed.  (At least, this is how modal
dialogs work.  We're not yet trying to solve the styling of non-modal
dialogs, as they require position anchoring.)

>>I mean the CSS Animations spec, and I'm referring to the way in which
>>animations aren't started until the element generates a box, and are
>>stopped and reset from the beginning when an element loses and then
>>regains a box.
>
> You seem to be referring only to the display:none cases; animations can
> be applied to existing boxes without no loss/'regain' of a render box
> e.g. you can just change animation-name or set animation-name to a value
> different from its initial 'none' value.

You're mixing up the terms "applied to" and "start".  I'm referring to
the latter.  The animation itself, as in its timer that determines
what precise effect it has at a given moment, starts at 0 when the
element gains a box, and restarts from 0 if the element loses and
regains.

Yes, there are other triggers that will start/restart an animation
while the element has a box.  But I don't think that display:none is
defined to force things into computing to their initial value, is it?
Thus, there's an implicit extra trigger that pays attention to when
the box is generated (perhaps in the form of when the property becomes
"relevant").