Re: [css3-ui] Styling of text overflow ellipsis

On Mar 25, 2013, at 7:06 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Daniel Trebbien <dtrebbien@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it make sense to change the spec so that the ellipsis has the same styling as wherever it is placed?  If this behavior is desired, should a new CSS property be created?
>
> That would make this property a lot more difficult to implement, and would create some strange behaviors because the width of the ellipsis would be determined by the text at its left edge, and of course which text is at its left edge depends on the width of the ellipsis…

True.  Any application of styling would need to be limited to only those properties not affecting text metrics.  I can think of color, background-color, text-decoration, and maybe text-shadow.  There are probably others that could be supported, but it would be limited.