Re: [css4-background] use cases for 'border-corner-shape'?

On Mar 25, 2013, at 2:43 AM, Stu Cox <stuart.cox@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 March 2013 06:19, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>> Authors can already do this in a number of
>> ways:  using border-image (preferably), or using images (the way
>> authors used to simulate rounded corners before border-radius).
>

> Surely border-image isn't quite the same because it requires adding border width to the box model,

No, it doesn't.

> and precludes adding a border as well.

Nope. Whatever border thickness you want would just be in the SVG. Or as a hack you could use the drop shadow filter to fake a border.

> This example wouldn't be possible (not trivially at least) because internal content would have to overlap the border.

It looks trivial to me. It wouldn't have to overlap the border. Border-image-width does not change the dimensions of the padding box.

> It also wouldn't crop internal content to that shape... yes a mask could be used instead, but as far as I know the current syntax wouldn't support this for flexible boxes.

I'm pretty sure it does.