Re: [css3-page] printing, is it a business of CSS at all?

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:07:50 -0400
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org
2013/3/25 Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>:
>> Notice that the four headers are based on the entries of the
>> encyclopedia. What would your script look like?
>
> Somehow close to this (assume that script is defined
> inside the template)
>
> function onPage(pageNo) {
>
>    var firstItem = self.onPage().first("dt").text();
>    var lastItem = self.onPage().last("dt").text();
>
>    self.find("#document-title").html( firstItem ... lastItem );
> }

This still doesn’t address the question of “how we are supposed to
specify how the page is laid out.” You still need CSS, DSSSL, or some
sort of equivalent mechanism to specify what goes where.

At the very least, CSS should provide the app developer the ability to
turn off all headers, footers, page numbers, and page margins so that
we can manually re-build the headers, footers, and page numbers at the
correct positions. I really don’t think it is ok to allow the browser
to make these decisions.

--
cheers,
-ambrose <http://gniw.ca>