[css3-page] Flexbox algorithm for page-margin box layout

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:06:06 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

Compared to the previous one in 2006, the latest WD changes the layout
of page-margin boxes in the "variable dimension" to be much more
realistic to implement:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css3-page-20130314/#variable-sizing

Still, itís been said in recent threads to be much more complicated than
it should be, especially given that this algorithm is only used for a
very specific purpose. I agree, but I am not sure of how to simplify it
while still having it do the "right thing" by default.

One option that has been suggested is to use flexbox. Each side of the
four page margin (eg. the top) would be have flex container, and the
three page-margin boxes that share that side (eg. @top-left, @top-center
and @top-right) would be flex items.

Is it possible with such a setup to have @top-center be centered by
default, even if all three boxes all have a different amount of content,
but still roughly distribute the space proportionally to the amount of
content?

--
Simon Sapin