Re: [css3-page] printing, is it a business of CSS at all?

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 02:48:52 -0400
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
2013/3/25 Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>:
> You can still use @media print { ... } styles for document *content*
> styling.
>
> But for printed page decorations like page number, url
> fields then it is really not business of CSS.
>
> If to follow logic of css3-page then we should also
> have special style sections for defining UA's chrome when
> page is presented in window so @media screen.
>
> That could be cool to have for some extreme CSSiers but
> I have some doubts that anyone from UAs vendors will sign under
> this.

I donít know how you feel when you develop intranet apps, but back
when I was doing that I was very unhappy about how the page numbers,
headers, and footers all looked different in different browsers and
there was no way to control page layout in CSS, even if I felt certain
properties ought to have at least some effect.

So I suppose what you are proposing is not any worse than the status
quo a few years ago. Back to PDF generation, I suppose, if only PDF
generators had the same capabilities as modern CSS.

--
cheers,
-ambrose <http://gniw.ca>