Re: The :min-width/:max-width pseudo-classes

From: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:31:44 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> > That requires shared state because you're assuming we do something in
> terms
> > of levels which isn't really how layout works. If two blocks are
> positioned
> > and not nested we'll lay them out entirely in parallel.
> >
> > I don't want the spec requiring us to share style state between the
> layout
> > threads.
>
> That sounds pretty reasonable, I think.
>
> Does that mean we'd need to shut down other things too, like region
> flows between viewports?

Yeah, you need the same kind of isolation as an iframe, but I can
understand not wanting all the weight of a frame.

For the record I really like the concept of this, I just don't want it to
prevent optimizations on future devices with tons of cores, especially
since implementing this will probably be a lot of work in addition to the
work for parallel layout/selector matching. :)

- E