Re: The :min-width/:max-width pseudo-classes

From: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:09:10 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'd oppose this feature unless we could figure out how to make it scoped
> > such that you can layout all non-nested viewports in parallel (just like
> > iframes).
>
> This should be the case in the current proposal - you can lay out all
> the elements at a given nesting level in parallel.

There are no nesting levels, it doesn't work that way. If you have two
absolutely positioned viewports and each has 10 levels of nested viewports
inside you need to be able to have two threads that lay them both out in
parallel without ever stopping or talking to each other. No shared state at
all.

My proposal only has style resolution going downward, but you said it's not
as flexible, so I'll need more explanation of what's different about yours
since I'm not quite following.

- E