Re: [mediaqueries4] Media queries for multichannel audio ?

On Mar 21, 2013, at 1:23 PM, Florian Rivoal wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:09:02 +0100, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth.r.christiansen@intel.com> wrote:
>
>> WebKit has devicePixelRatio so you can device the device size by using
>> that. Something to query that should probably be standardized, but
>> media queries are not exactly for querying exact values.
>
> Something has been standardized, actually:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/#resolution
>
> The following:
>
>  @media (min-resolution: 2dppx) { ... }
>
> is completely equivalent to:
>
>  @media (min-device-pixel-ratio: 2) { ... }
>
> if the dppx unit is not available, you can get the exact same result (if a bit less author friendly) with
>
> @media (min-resolution: 192dpi) { ... }
>
> The dppx / dpcm / dpi units are defined in terms of device pixel per CSS px / CSS cm / CSS inch, so that it would work.
>
> - Florian

Ok, so if I knew the screen height in CSS pixels was H, and I have media suitable for a screen with a height of 1080 device pixels, then I guess I can calculate X = 1080 / H and then (programmatically) say @media ( min-resolution: Xdppx)

And I believe I can get the screen height in CSS pixels from window somewhere.

This doesn't seem very natural, though, and can't be done declaratively. It would be much more natural to say:

@media ( min-device-height: 1080dpx )

i.e. to introduce a new "device pixels" <length> measurement.

…Mark