Re: [cssom-view] Add a "smooth" parameter to scrollTo and scrollBy functions

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:28:45 -0400
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Nat Duca <nduca@google.com>, James Simonsen <simonjam@chromium.org>, Tony Gentilcore <tonyg@google.com>, Tom Wiltzius <wiltzius@google.com>
On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 22:30 +0100, Simon Pieters wrote:

> Is there no desire to control how long it should take to scroll? Is there
> no desire to control the timing function (ease/linear/etc)?

The less variation of that sort of thing there across Web sites, the
better for the user.

In addition, the wonderful thing about having smooth scrolling in CSS is
that I might be able to turn it off! I might have liked it when I was
20, but now I can't focus fast enough to control it.

A "page up/down" that scolls by a screen-ful minus one line and
highlights the overlapping line (e.g. with a horizontal rule) was the
easiest interface I've used. I think I first saw that on the ICL Perq.
Again, one really wants consistency across Web sites there.

Liam