Re: [selectors] Matching of :first-child and the like for elements whose parent is not an element

On 3/19/13 4:30 PM, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Boris, do you want to take an action item to summarize the various
> possibilities (on both Selectors and Selectors API sides if needed)
> here so the WG can make a decision?

As I see it, there are four main options:

1)  Change nothing.
2)  Change the various structural pseudo-classes that match kids to
     match kids of any node.
3)  Change the kid-matching pseudo-classes to match kids of elements
     or documents.
4)  Change the kid-matching pseudo-classes to match kids of elements
     or DocumentFragments.

 From the point of view of styling, option 1 and option 4 are identical,
and option 2 and 3 are identical, but 1 and 2 are distinct.

 From the point of view of selectors API all of the options are
distinct, but there are use cases for #2 or #4.

In terms of implementation, I believe Gecko implements #4 (somewhat by
accident), WebKit and Presto implement #1, and I haven't tested Trident
recently.

Is that about what you were looking for?

-Boris