Re: [selectors] Matching of :first-child and the like for elements whose parent is not an element

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:53:01 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
On 03/18/2013 12:29 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> fantasai says this was indeed purposeful, and letting them match the
>> root doesn't really buy you anything in a normal document
>
> Agreed;

I honestly have no idea why it was defined that way, the spec just seems
rather explicit about defining it that way. I wouldn't be opposed to a
change here, but am curious if there is any reason, other than the
semantics of the world "child", the restriction was put in place.

Maybe Tantek or glazou remember?

~fantasai