Re: [css3-grid-layout] Issues For Your Consideration

On 3/17/13 1:05 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Would the auto-placement algorithm take order into account in any way?
>
>Yes; the auto-placement algorithm is the main reason for applying
>'order' at all.

Right, I should have asked whether including order in grid layout would
change the relationship between steps 1 and 4 in the current algorithm.
And the answer is no, it only affects step 4 by itself.

>> Say
>> I have three grid items in a 3x3 grid, and each is small enough to fit
>>in
>> any grid cell. I give them order values of 1, 2 and 3. These would
>> auto-place in the top three cells of the grid. Now I take the 'order:2'
>> grid item and place it in the center cell. I might expect the 'order:3'
>> land in the middle-right grid cell. As I understand the current
>>algorithm
>> it would actually place the 'order:3' item in the top-middle cell, which
>> isn't exactly "ordered" in the way that's been specified.
>
>In general, auto-placed items always flow into the empty spaces in
>order, regardless of where in document order they fall relative to
>manually-placed items.  I don't think it'll be too confusing to
>authors here, once they get used to auto-placement in general.

So since auto-placed items don't respect document order with regard to
manually placed items, you're assuming it will be clear that auto-placed
items won't respect a specified order with regard to manually placed
items. I think that's reasonable but not necessarily obvious.

Is the effect on z-order also split between manual- and auto-placed items?
Or can the interleaving between manual and auto-placed item overlap be
controlled by the order values?

Thanks,

Alan