Re: [css-selectors] Proposal: Logical Combinators / Sets

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org> wrote:
> I might be missing something here, but isn’t :anyof() essentially
> :matches(), :noneof() essentially :not() and :allof() essentially
> ...chaining of simple selectors (i.e. compound selectors)?

Yes, as long as they're limited to compound selectors.  As soon as we
allow complex selectors (which we want to do in :matches(), and once
that happens there's no reason we couldn't do so in :not() as well),
there are things you can't emulate with just that.

So, we don't need them all *yet*.  But we likely will eventually.
Thus, it makes sense to set up our current names to match with the
future names.  In particular, I think :matches() should be renamed
:any() or :any-of().  The former brings it back to Moz's original name
for it.

~TJ