Re: [css3-regions] Separating regions markup

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:33:07 -0400
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 13:16 -0700, Alan Stearns wrote:
[...]
> Just like CSS Regions, HTML Templates are using elements to define
> presentational boxes. Whether its tag abuse or not, this appears to be
> part of the future of the web platform.

"Tag abuse" is using an element for a use other than that for which it
was intended. If an element is designed in a particular markup
vocabulary (such as HTML or SVG) to represent a hexagon, and is used in
a document to represent a hexagon, the document is not mis-using
(abusing) the element, and there is no "tag abuse".

An example of "tag abuse" might be using "em" in a transliteration of a
book or manuscript to mark italics that were not for emphasis - "i"
should be used instead, if the purpose is unknown.  One could claim hat
using blockquote to indent poetry might be another example, except that
HTML semantics don't yet rise to the level of poetry :)

> The motivation for CSS Regions is complex layout, so a simple example
> doesn't quite fit.

I'm happy to provide examples of more complex layout, although I suspect
you have lots of your own!  I did supply some examples of footnotes for
XSL-FO, including multiple levels of footnote, but I fear they are in
Member-only space right now.

Liam