Re: [css3-flexbox] alignment and overflow:scroll

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:25:53 -0700
To: Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org> wrote:
>> > Where is the cross-end?  Is it the bottom of the flexbox (100px),
>> > causing
>> > the flexbox to overflow out the top, or should the scrollable area
>> > extend to
>> > 200px tall?
>> Here, we do the same things we did previously, except when we come to
>> step 14.  Now, because the alignment is 'flex-end', it doesn't have
>> its height adjusted, and just aligns its cross-end edge with that of
>> the flexbox. So, yes, it then overflows out the top.  However, because
>> scrolling containers don't show their overflow, and you can't scroll
>> past the top of an element, the overflowing part is simply clipped and
>> is completely inaccessible.  (If we ever allowed scrollable areas to
>> scroll into negative positions, you could get to it.)
> Just to be clear, you're saying that there would be no scrollbar and we
> would clip the top 100px of the image.  Likewise, if the flex item had
> align-self: center, we would clip the top 50px of the image.  This seems
> reasonable to me too.

Well, there will be a scrollbar in this case, because you specified
"overflow: scroll;", but yeah, it'll be disabled since there's nothing
extending out of view in the scrollable area. If you had "overflow:
auto;", there would be no scrollbar at all.

And yes, with "center", you'd clip the upper 50px and let people
scroll to the lower 50px.