Re: [css3-mediaqueries] device-width/device-height on rotatable devices

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:39:08 +0100
To: James Holderness <j4_james@hotmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Le 08/03/2013 00:19, James Holderness a écrit :
> Given that this is already REC, are there ever likely to be updates for
> minor complaints like this?

RECs can have errata. From what I gather, generally we only do it for
normative changes, not editorial clarifications like this. But it is
still worth fixing in the next level:

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/mediaqueries4/

If however some implementers (not implementations) really disagree on
how to interpret the spec, it might be worth IMO to errata Level 3 to
clarify.

> To be honest, though, I'm more concerned about
> the rotation issues. As it stands, device media queries are essentially
> useless on mobile devices.

Although this case is not explicitly mentioned in the spec (and again,
it could, for clarification) it seems pretty clear to me that rotation
should re-evaluate Media Queries.

When the browser decides to change how content is displayed due to a
device rotation, I’m confident this changes what is called the
width/height of the viewport, and that eg. 'width' and 'device-width'
should correspond to the same direction.

--
Simon Sapin