[css-selectors] Proposal: Logical Combinators / Sets

From: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 18:39:34 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
A recent discussion about adding Set operations on another list prompted me
to discuss something to Tab which I've mulled around (even prollyfilled) in
the past and think it's worth proposing...

CSS selectors operate on _sets_ of elements, but until  recently
(:matches/:not) we've had nothing in the way of logical selectors or any
language constructs that hinted at set oriented language.   This seems a
shame to me as sets and logic gates are some of the most powerful concepts
in CS.  The relationship feels natural to me.

This proposal would require us to get complex selectors inside, but
essentially I am proposing some logical combinators like
:anyof, :allof, :oneof, :noneof to act as predicates which allow some very
rich selection.  Examples/more details in my blog post:

http://briankardell.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/logical-psuedo-selectors-a-proposal/