Re: [css3-multicol] references to paged media

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 14:27:24 +0100
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach L. David Baron:

 > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/

 > I think essentially everything in the specification
 > that says it applies to paged media should *also* apply inside of a
 > multi-column element, inside of regions, etc.

I agree.

 > I think almost all, if not all, of the references in
 > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/ to paged vs. continuous media
 > should instead be references to fragmented vs. continuous contexts.

 > (http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-break/#fragmentation-model defines the
 > term "fragmentation context".  I'm essentially using "in a
 > fragmented context" to mean anything that's inside a "fragmentation
 > context", and "in a continuous context" to mean anything that's
 > not.)

It's probably best not to add normative references to a WD.

Could we address this by adding a blanket statement like:

  Properties in this speciciation apply to the media groups specified
  in the property definition. All properties that apply to the "paged"
  media type also applies inide other boxes that causes breaks by
  constraining content flow in the block direction.

  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/media.html#media-groups

-h&kon