Re: [css-cascade] Naming "value of a declaration", renaming "specified value"

From: <rune@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:18:39 +0000
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Quoting "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>:

> I'm asking why we need a publicly exposed term for what "specified
> value" used to mean.  In other words, it seems to be a concept that
> might be useful inside the cascade module but is unlikely to be
> useful outside of it.  In turn, that makes me think we'd be better
> off not giving it a nice easy-to-refer-to term that people are
> likely to refer to.
>
> In other words, I'm proposing not replacing the term "specified
> value" with anything that's easy to refer to, and leaving the term
> "cascaded value" as it is.

You have computed values in terms of specified value in property definitions:

"Computed value: as specified"

With Tab's suggested change to "cascaded value" you can say:

"Computed value: as cascaded"

Otherwise you would still need the another equivalent to the
'specified value' term, right?

--
Rune Lillesveen