Re: [css-syntax] <an+b> grammar

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:45:02 -0700
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> Le 23/05/2013 00:32, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>> The WG's preliminary conclusion is that consistency is good, so we
>> should tweak the grammar to also allow whitespace in the "- n" case as
>> well.  I can accept that (it's one more clause).  Thoughts?
>
> If we allow whitespace between a sign and a bare "n", for consistency we
> should also allow whitespace between a sign and a signless A, which the
> grammar in the current ED does not seem to allow. For example:
>
> - 2n
> + 3n+1

At the latest f2f, the WG decided that it wasn't a burden to require
no whitespace between "+" and "n", and so I've amended the spec
accordingly.  (Or rather, I'm trying to at the moment - preprocessing
errors are preventing me from uploading a draft right now, but they'll
be solved shortly.)

This removes any possibility of having to handle more annoying cases
in the name of "consistency".

~TJ