Re: [cssom-view][css-ui] elementsFromPoint() and pointer-events:paint-order

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 08:58:39 -0700
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, W3C WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, "glenn.adams@cox.com" <glenn.adams@cox.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 6/24/13 4:29 AM, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks,>>> The NodeList returned from elementsFromPoint(x, y) should be identical
>>> a list constructed by iterating over these steps:
>>>
>>> 1. Call elementFromPoint(x, y) and add any non-null result to the list.
>>> 2. If the result not null nor the root element, remove that element and
>>>go
>>> to step 1.
>>That would be incorrect, since elementFromPoint uses hit testing.
>
> Fair enough. But then I'd add a note to parallel the note above, something
> like:
>
> ---
> The elementsFromPoint() method will return all painted elements at the
> coordinates, even those excluded from being a target for hit testing by
> using the 'pointer-events' CSS property.
> ---

Is that an intentional difference?  It seems weird for
elementFromPoint and elementsFromPoint to use different methods to
determine what's returned; in particular, it seems weird that if the
top-most element has pointer-events:none, it'll be skipped by the
former and returned as the first result by the latter.

~TJ