Re: [css-display]? Compositing, expensive things, and laziness

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:52:47 +0200
To: "Ali Juma" <ajuma@chromium.org>, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
> [...] rendering events [...]

While I'm not an implementor myself, I don't think any implementor is ready
to accept the idea of such rendering-fallback events. Triggering a
rendering-fallback event in order to show a placeholder requires making a
junction to a JS function running on the main thread before terminating the
rendering phase. It doesn't seem to me any vendor will be okay to pay that
price.

A "::waiting-rendering" pseudo-element (that could be used by the browser in
place of the contents to show a placeholder (for example in the form of an
inlined data-uri SVG)) is probably a more acceptable proposal.