Re: [css-variables] Remaining Issues

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Sebastian Zartner
<sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That's probably a mistake since we use url(#id) everywhere else, but
>> > let's
>> > suppose that it ends up being implemented that way. Would you want to
>> > animate this property? Via a custom property? Better question: how more
>> > likely are you to animate this than you're to animate over a color? (and
>> > what's the probability you'll want to animate from a color-like ID to
>> > another color-like ID?)
>> >
>> > I don't say we don't want static typing, I just say we should provide
>> > reasonable defaults so that people do not have to use static typing at
>> > least
>> > 95% of the times. The remaining 5% will need static typing, and that's
>> > okay.
>
> Just want to note that if this kind of value is used as id and it's really
> used for animation (which seems a very odd use case to me), it would be up
> to the author to define a proper transition for it or define it as François
> said as url(#id) to make clear, which kind of value it is.
>
> Anyway, rethinking the 50% flip, I wonder how that works together with the
> animation-timing-function, which has "ease" as default value. Shouldn't the
> flip according to this be somewhere around 30% of the animation? I.e. aren't
> the timing functions been taken into account?

Yes, it's 50% of the progress of the timing function.

(Note: I'm not defining anything new or special here.  This is just
the default behavior for all properties/value types without
interpolation behavior specially defined.  It was decided on several
F2Fs ago, but I don't think has wound up in the spec yet. :/)

~TJ