W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > June 2013

Re: [css-variables] Remaining Issues

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:45:38 -0700
Message-ID: <CAAWBYDBR0xx=q1ZOXCrxhnicrq8-wRasQsJmyo1J23AzKUpVug@mail.gmail.com>
To: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Cc: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Sebastian Zartner
<sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >> Nope, still can't.  #aaa might be an id selector, for example.  We use
>> >> naked id selectors in at least one property, in CSS UI.
>> >
>> > That's probably a mistake since we use url(#id) everywhere else, but
>> > let's
>> > suppose that it ends up being implemented that way. Would you want to
>> > animate this property? Via a custom property? Better question: how more
>> > likely are you to animate this than you're to animate over a color? (and
>> > what's the probability you'll want to animate from a color-like ID to
>> > another color-like ID?)
>> >
>> > I don't say we don't want static typing, I just say we should provide
>> > reasonable defaults so that people do not have to use static typing at
>> > least
>> > 95% of the times. The remaining 5% will need static typing, and that's
>> > okay.
>
> Just want to note that if this kind of value is used as id and it's really
> used for animation (which seems a very odd use case to me), it would be up
> to the author to define a proper transition for it or define it as Fran├žois
> said as url(#id) to make clear, which kind of value it is.
>
> Anyway, rethinking the 50% flip, I wonder how that works together with the
> animation-timing-function, which has "ease" as default value. Shouldn't the
> flip according to this be somewhere around 30% of the animation? I.e. aren't
> the timing functions been taken into account?

Yes, it's 50% of the progress of the timing function.

(Note: I'm not defining anything new or special here.  This is just
the default behavior for all properties/value types without
interpolation behavior specially defined.  It was decided on several
F2Fs ago, but I don't think has wound up in the spec yet. :/)

~TJ
Received on Friday, 21 June 2013 07:46:25 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:39:12 UTC