Re: Scoped SVG styles?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:47:53 -0700
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Takashi Sakamoto <tasak@google.com>
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Is there a way to just say that <svg:style> is identical to
>> of the definition, and stay permanently up-to-date.
>
> That'd be nice, but is that feasible given that they have different DOM
> interfaces?  We could have HTML split out the meat of HTMLStyleElement into
> a separate interface that can be mixed in to SVGStyleElement, I guess.

Two additional possibilities:

1. Make SVGStyleElement just inherit from HTMLStyleElement.
2. Drop SVGStyleElement, make <svg:style> implement HTMLStyleElement instead.

Both of these have the downside that "el instanceof SVGElement" no
longer works for <svg:style>, but I doubt there's actually any compat
risk.

~TJ