Re: [css-shapes] "box" value for shape-inside

On 6/14/13 8:59 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>I know shape-inside has been punted to level 2, so consider this a
>suggestion for that level.
>
>I'm watching Lea give a talk about border-radius right now, and she's
>demonstrating the use of shape-inside to make text in an element
>conform to the border-radius.  She points out how awkward it is,
>because you have to duplicate the element's size and border-radius in
>the rectangle() function.
>
>I suggest we add a "box" keyword to shape-inside, which is nothing
>more than the shape of the box.
>
>~TJ

This could be useful on shape-outside as well, so it could be considered
for level 1.

I've been thinking of other keywords that could be added to shape-inside
and shape-outside. One might be 'image' which, if the element is an img
element would use the image referenced by the src attribute with whatever
positioning, sizing, clipping etc. is applied. This would avoid having to
repeat the URL in your HTML and CSS, and make sure that the shape aligns
with the displayed image it comes from.

Thanks,

Alan