Re: [css3-multicol] updated editor's draft

Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> writes:

> Morten Stenshorne wrote:
>
>  >  > Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> writes:
>
>  > >>
>  > >> What if we define it so that *used* column-count in the example above
>  > >> is 3, while *actual* column-count is 4 [1]? If we do that, you can
>  > >> remove the assumptions.
>  > >>
>  > >> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#value-stages
>  > >
>  > > That sounds attractive. Does it influence anything else apart from the
>  > > terminology in the spec?
>  >
>  > No, it shouldn't.
>
> I'd like to get rid of the assumptions, too, but I'm unsure if the
> replaced text is simple.
>
> Perhaps it could be expressed with something like:
>
>   "The /used value/ for for /column-count/ is calculated without
>   regard for explicit column breaks or constrained column lengths,
>   while the /actual value/ takes these into consideration."
>
> And then proceed with the example?

Yes, something like that. But we should probably also note that the
actual column-count may be _lower_ than used column-count, if there
isn't enough content to fill the columns.

     line

Here computed column-count is auto, used column-count is 4 and actual
column-count is 1.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----
---- Office: +47 23692400 ------ Mobile: +47 93440112 ----