Re: Use of Futures/Promises in CSS Font Face APIs

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 21:05:29 -0700
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Cc: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> No.  Promises are entirely polyfillable in ES5.

Or, to be more accurate, they're polyfillable in ES5 + setTimeout().
The latter can't currently be expressed in pure ES, as we haven't yet
added the concept of the event loop to the ES spec (it's planned for
ES7, I believe), but that's irrelevant for our purposes, as the event
loop *does* exist in de facto ES in every browser, and non-browser ES
environments like Node.