RE: [mediaqueries4] Media queries for viewport positions

Tab Atkins envisioned Scroll-based timelines for Web Animations which can provide similar results if you use step transitions.

That's probably less intuitive for step transitions but if you want effects like a DIV coming from outside the page at the bottom of the screen when you reach the end of the page (like "You may find this other article useful: ...") then a scroll-based timeline has the advantage you can control the position of the DIV exactly given the scroll state.

The other advantage is that it would work for all scrollable elements, not just the root.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Nov/0496.html